Curbside Sanitation Information
Town Hall Sanitation: (828) 419-9300 ext. 2
Waste Pro: (828) 684-7790
The Town of Black Mountain provides residential solid waste services through a contract with Waste Pro Inc. The Town does not provide trash receptacles. Citizens may purchase them privately or contact Waste Pro for toter rental. Types of solid waste collection include household garbage, recycling, and yard waste. The Town encourages citizens to participate in the recycling program to control costs and to preserve our natural resources for future generations. Residents should contact our Senior Administrative Assistant, Tausha Millwood, who coordinates with Waste Pro and the Public Service Department at (828) 419-9300 ext. 2 to schedule white good and yard waste (brush) collection.
Refuse and Recycling must be placed at the curb no later than 7:00 a.m. on your scheduled pickup day. Do not place any items at the curb before 5:00 p.m. the day prior to your scheduled pickup date. Waste Pro will no longer pick up missed stops for failure to comply with the set out time.
NEW SCHEDULE BEGINNING OCTOBER 1, 2018
- Brush/Yard Waste: Pickups are Friday/Saturday by requests. Requests must be called in by Thursdays at 4:00 p.m. 828-419-9300 x 2 Requests received after 4:00 p.m. will be scheduled for the following week. Brush cannot exceed 6 feet in length and 3 inches in diameter. Smaller debris and leaves must be bagged. Whole trees/tree stumps, large quantities of brush exceeding 8 cubic yards or waste resulting from lot clearing or whole tree removal and quantities of limbs, branches or other trimmings exceeding eight cubic yards will not be picked up and must be disposed of privately.
- *****8 cubic yards = a brush pile 6ft wide by 12ft long by 3ft high OR a 6x12 utility trailer stacked 3ft high.******
- White Goods/Appliances/Electronics: (washer, dryer, microwave, computer, dishwasher, etc.) Pickups are Friday by request. Requests must be called in no later than Thursdays at 4:00 p.m. 828-419-9300 x 2
- Bulk Items:(mattresses, couches, furniture) Bulk Items are picked up on your regular pickup day. Generally you do not have to call to schedule this service unless your street is serviced by a smaller truck.
- Building Materials/commodes/sinks
- Automobile fluids/parts/tires
- Hazardous Waste/liquid paint/poisons/acids/caustics/infections materials/explosives/ or chemical liquids
- Landscape timbers
- Whole trees/tree stumps, large quantities of brush or waste resulting from lot clearing or whole tree removal
- Quantities of limbs, branches or other trimmings exceeding eight cubic yards
- Limbs greater than three inches in diameter and/or six feet long
Please note: Building materials and waste from lot clearing, landscaping and remodeling must be collected, removed and disposed of by the property owner or private contractor or builder.
For additional information regarding disposal of non-acceptable refuse, call the Buncombe County Landfill at (828) 250-5460.
64 gallon recycling toter rentals are available through Waste Pro. 18 gallon recycle bins are available at Town Hall for a small fee.
Please contact Waste Pro to purchase or rent the larger containers at 828-684-7790 or you may purchase them from alternate sources as long as the container is CLEARLY MARKED either recycling or waste and the contents are bagged inside. Waste Pro charges $5.00 per month for a 96 gallon trash container and $4.00 per month for a 64 gallon recycling container. There is a one time $38.95 delivery fee. Customers are billed directly through Waste Pro if they elect to have these types of containers.
Most household garbage is sent to landfills or dumps. With people producing more and more waste, landfills are filling up faster than we can find new sites for them. By recycling we can substantially reduce the amount of household garbage and help to preserve our landfills. Waste reduction hinges on the participation and support of everyone. To be effective, it must incorporate the “3R’s”:
- Reduce the amount of garbage you discard by purchasing durable, long-lasting goods and products which can be used again after its original use is completed.
- Reuse containers and products; repair what is broken or give it to someone who can repair it. Donate unwanted items to charity or community groups.
- Recycle as much as possible, which includes buying products with recycled content. Purchasing products made from or packaged in recycled materials saves resources for future generations.
When to Recycle…
Recyclables will be picked up every other week on the same day as refuse collection for residences and commercial customers within the Town limits. Your street location determines when your recyclables will be collected. Please check the recycling calendar below for your scheduled recycling collection day.
The Town does not provide recycling services for industrial or manufacturing operations.
How and What to Recycle...
For your convenience, mixed paper, magazines, newspapers, inserts, cans, glass and plastic recyclables can all be mixed together in your recycling container.
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS CAN BE RECYCLED:
Please remember to remove all food and liquid and reapply lids for recycling.
- Corrugated cardboard: (moving boxes, shipping boxes, etc) Boxes must be flattened and no larger than approximately 3’ x 3’ with a stack no higher than approximately 3’.
- Aluminum, steel, tin cans/food trays/aerosol cans: Aerosol cans are accepted as long as they are empty.
- Clear, green and brown glass: Bottles and Jars only. It is not necessary to remove any labels. Reapply lids.
- Cartons/Containers: Gable tops and aseptic containers (juice boxes)
- Plastic bottles, jars and plastic food containers #1 through #7
- Flatten the bottle when possible
- Replace lids and recycle them
- NO black microwavable trays.
- Mixed Paper and Paperboard: Magazines, catalogs, newspapers, phone books, office paper, manila envelopes, junk mail, cereal boxes, paper egg cartons, brown paper bags and paperback books.
- Do Not...
- Use plastic grocery bags or paper bags.
- Place soiled items out for recycling.
Items that are not picked up as recyclables and should be put in your regular household garbage:
Aluminum Foil, Dried Paint, Plastic Bags, Plastic Wrap, Dishes or Cookware, Drinking Glasses, Window or Mirror Glass, Baby Diapers, Carbon Copy Paper, Pet Food Bags, Hardcover Books, Black Frozen Food Containers, Paper Towels or Tissue, Spiral Bound Notebooks, Styrofoam, Plastic Wrap, and Nursery Plant Containers
Download the Recycling Calendar
Download the Sanitation Brochure
Download the Recycling Brochure