When to Recycle
Recyclables are picked up every other week on the same day as refuse collection for residential and commercial customers within the Town limits. Items should be placed at the curb for pick up by 7:00 a.m. on your scheduled pick up day. Your street location determines when your recyclables will be collected. Please refer to the Refuse/Recycling Collection Calendar for determine your scheduled recycling collection week.
Most household garbage is sent to landfills or dumps. With people producing more and more waste, landfills are filling up faster than we can find new sites for them. By recycling, we can substantially reduce the amount of household garbage and help to preserve our landfills. Waste reduction hinges on the participation and support of everyone. To be effective, it must incorporate the “3R’s”:
- Reduce the amount of garbage you discard by purchasing durable, long-lasting goods and products which can be used again after its original use is completed.
- Reuse containers and products; repair what is broken or give it to someone who can repair it. Donate unwanted items to charity or community groups.
- Recycle as much as possible, which includes buying products with recycled content. Purchasing products made from or packaged in recycled materials saves resources for future generations.
- Please refer to the Recycling Brochure for disposal guidelines.
- You may also refer to the County’s Recycling Brochure for additional guidelines.
The Town does not provide dumpster service, trash collection or recycling services for industrial or manufacturing operations.
Know what’s recyclable
When non-recyclable materials and/or contaminants are mixed in your recycling, extra sorting is required at the facility and it may result in the rejection of an entire load of recyclables. Recyclables can be mixed together in your recycling container. Review the Recycling Brochure or view the list of acceptable and not acceptable items below. You may also visit www.curbie.com for a more complete list of acceptable items.
Please remember to remove all food and liquid and leave lids on for recycling. The following items can be recycled:
- Cartons/Containers: Gable tops and aseptic containers (juice boxes)
- Clear, green and brown glass:
- Bottles and jars only
- Caps and labels should remain on (remove nozzles)
- Corrugated cardboard: (moving boxes, shipping boxes, etc.)
- Boxes must be flattened and no larger than approximately 3 feet by 3 feet with a stack no higher than approximately 3 feet
- Light Metals:
- Tin cans/food trays/aerosol cans: Aerosol cans are accepted as long as they are empty
- Mixed paper and paperboard:
- Brown paper bags
- Cereal boxes
- Junk mail
- Manila envelopes
- Office paper
- Paper egg cartons
- Paperback books
- Phone books
- Flatten the bottle when possible
- Replace lids and recycle them
- No black microwavable trays
The following Items are not recyclable and should be placed in your regular household garbage for disposal:
- Aluminum Foil
- Baby Diapers
- Black Frozen Food Containers
- Carbon Copy Paper
- Dishes or Cookware
- Dried Paint
- Drinking Glasses
- Hardcover Books
- Nursery Plant Containers
- Paper Towels or Tissue
- Pet Food Bags
- Plastic Bags
- Plastic Wrap
- Spiral Bound Notebooks
- Window or Mirror Glass