The Town of Black Mountain was incorporated in 1893. While the first record of formalized police service is not exactly clear, T.W. Ingle was listed as Town Constable and Tax Collector in 1907. On February 12, 1910, the Town Ledger reflected the appointment of T.A. Brown to the position of Police Chief at the pay of $1 per month.
The Police Department has progressed with the changing times and today the Police Department had a paid staff of:
19 full-time officers
10 volunteer sworn auxiliary officers
4 full-time and 4 part-time civilian telecommunicators