Fire Services Career
Fire Department Employment
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Black Mountain Fire Department. The Town of Black Mountain is an equal opportunity employer. Information regarding employee benefits may be found here. Please visit our Employment Opportunities page to view current job postings. Applications should be submitted to the HR Coordinator for consideration.
All full time and part time firefighter candidates must complete a Town of Black Mountain employment application, and be able to successfully pass a criminal background check, drug screen, and where applicable, a credit check. All forms and applications must be submitted to the Human Resources Coordinator located a 160 Midland Avenue, Black Mountain.
Candidates applying for full-time or part-time employment with the Town of Black Mountain will be required to submit to a multifaceted hiring process consisting of the following:
- Panel Interview - recommendations will be submitted to the Fire Chief.
- Satisfactorily pass pre-employment drug screen and a background investigation.
- Satisfactorily complete a six month introductory period.
Volunteer Fire Service
Candidates applying for volunteer firefighter service with the Town of Black Mountain must complete a Town of Black Mountain employment application, and submit it to the Black Mountain Volunteer Firefighters Association or to the Black Mountain Fire Chief. Volunteer Firefighters are considered part time employees of the Town of Black Mountain and are subject to all of its personnel policies and regulations. Volunteers are selected by the Volunteer Firefighters Association and recommended to the Fire Chief for final approval.
Volunteer candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of 18 years of age at time of application.
- Have reliable transportation & possess a valid NC Driver's License.
- Must reside in the fire district for the past 18 months.
- Panel Interview- Interviews conducted by BM VFA and upon recommendation of the Fire Chief.
- Satisfactorily pass a pre-volunteer drug screen and a background investigation.
Fire DepartmentPhysical Address
106 Montreat Road
Black Mountain, NC 28711
Phone: 828-419-9300, option 2Fax: 828-669-8673Emergency Phone: 911 or 828-250-6670 for non-emergency dispatch 24/7
Rhonda Freeman, IPMA-CPHuman Resources CoordinatorPhone: 828-419-9300, ext. 309
Black Mountain Volunteer Firefighters Association