Water Quality Guide for Lawn Care and Landscaped Areas
- Apply fertilizes and pesticides according to the label and follow the instructions to save money and minimize pollution.
- Avoid using fertilizers or pesticides before rain is predicted.
- Cover all materials that are to be used in landscaping projects, such as dirt and mulch, which will help keep them from blowing or washing away and into local water bodies.
- Dispose of yard waste properly. Leaves and other debris should be raked or blown into any street, ditch, gutter, creek, stream, storm drain, or sanitary sewer system.
- Make sure that all stream banks have a healthy riparian or vegetated buffer.
- Pick up litter every day, keeping parking lots and other paved areas clean of debris.
- Plant native species of grasses and plants as they are more drought and pest resistant and require less use of water and chemicals.
- Sweep up fertilizer/pesticide spills and dispose of properly. Do not hose off excess.
*Information on this Web Page excerpted from City of Concord, Copyright 2019, and City of Winston-Salem, Copyright 2006-2020