Flood Insurance

Flood losses are not normally covered under renter and homeowner's insurance policies. You can get separate flood insurance in most areas through insurance agencies. Policies are available whether the building is in or our of a known flood-prone area. There is a 30-day waiting period before flood insurance can begin. 

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), managed by FEMA, makes federally-backed flood insurance available in areas that agree to adopt and apply floodplain management rules to lower future flood damage. The Town of  Black Mountain has adopted ordinances for flood development. 

What you can do:

  • Find out if your home or business is at risk for flood. Learn about what a flood can do to your and your family.
  • Talk to your insurance provider about your policy and decided if you need more coverage.
  • Flood insurance is available in most areas through insurance agents.
  • Contact the NFIP. It can help give a way for property owners to financially protect themselves if more coverage is needed. The NFIP offers flood insurance to homeowners, renters and business owners if their area joins the NFIP. To find out more about the NFIP visit FloodSmart.