Residents of Buncombe, Haywood, and Transylvania counties who were affected by the remnants of Tropical Storm Fred from Aug. 16 – 18, 2021, may apply for FEMA disaster assistance.
Call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) to apply. The toll-free telephone lines are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. local time, seven days a week. Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, InnoCaption, or CapTel should update FEMA with their specific number assigned to that service.
You can also apply by smartphone or tablet using the FEMA App, or at www.disasterassistance.gov. When you apply for assistance, have the following information readily available:
- A current phone number where you can be contacted.
- Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying.
- Your Social Security number.
- A general list of damage and losses.
- Banking information if you choose direct deposit.
- If insured, the policy number or the agent and/or the company name.
If you have homeowners, renter’s or flood insurance, you should file a claim as soon as possible. FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If your policy does not cover all your damage expenses, you may be eligible for federal assistance.
Take photos to document damage and begin cleanup and repairs to prevent further damage. Remember to keep receipts from all purchases related to the cleanup and repair.
Disaster assistance may include financial help with temporary lodging and home repairs, along with other programs to assist those recovering from the flooding.