Black Mountain is excited to install its very first Bike Boulevard!
A Bike Boulevard is not a separate bike lane. Bike Boulevards are suitable from areas with low traffic volumes and speeds and are a retrofit when there is not enough space for a separate facility.
The Town seeks to increase connectivity between destinations in the community. It is also supporting community health goals by increasing safe opportunity for active transportation which support both mental and physical health. Improving mental health indicators is the number one priority in the Buncombe County 2018 Community Health Improvement Plan. Active transportation also reduces greenhouse gas emissions and reduces motor vehicle traffic through primarily residential areas.
The route will be marked by unique, identifying street signs, sharrows painted on the pavement and special Bike Boulevard markers at the beginning and end of each street along the route. Beginning at the trailhead for the Flat Creek Greenway, the route travels west:
- Charlotte Street to N Ridgeway Avenue
- N Ridgeway Avenue to First Street
- Left onto the sidewalk of Montreat Road
- Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons will be installed for the cross at Montreat Road and Laurel Circle Drive
- Laurel Circle Drive to the Lake Tomahawk parking lot