The Town of Black Mountain’s contract with Waste Pro ends in September 2020. In an effort to save taxpayers money and provide better service, the town has created a Sanitation Department and will begin providing our collection beginning Monday September 28th.
In order to be more efficient, we have implemented several changes.
Please review the new guidelines that will begin Monday September 28th.
- All residents will continue to receive weekly trash collection.
- All trash should be placed at the curb no later than 7:00 am on your scheduled collection day.
- Homeowners are responsible for disposal of building materials/construction debris, tires, toilets, sinks, showers and bathtubs. The town will not provide collection of those items.
Each household will have collection of up to 6 bags or two (2) trash cans weekly.
Please refer to the collection calendar to confirm your collection day. You may view the calendar on Facebook or by calling 828-419-9300 option 2.
Bulky items are no longer accepted on same day as trash pick-up. See bulky item collection rules below.
- All residents will continue to receive bi-weekly recycle collection. Recycling will be collected on the same day as your trash collection.
- Whenever possible, please use recycling containers instead of bags. All recycling should be placed at the curb no later than 7:00 am on your scheduled collection day. Please refer to the collection calendar to confirm your collection day.
- Items included but not limited to: items of furniture, chairs, tables, couches, mattresses & box springs, dressers, etc. will be collected on Friday by request only.
- Each residence may schedule a bulky item pick up once per month at no cost. Any residence requiring more than 1 bulky item pick up each month will be charged $25 per item. This fee must be paid prior to collection.
- Bulky items shall not be placed at the curb prior to 5:00 pm on Thursday.
- The town will not provide collection of bulky items from any residence or business establishment that has a dumpster.
- The disposal of bulky items resulting from the eviction or departure of tenants at any rental property shall be the responsibility of the landlord of each location.
- Inoperative and discarded appliances, including but not limited to, refrigerators, ranges, water heaters, freezers, washers, dryers, dehumidifiers, dishwashers, trash compactors, window air conditioners and computer equipment will continue to be collected on Friday by request only.
Any residence scheduling a collection of a TV will now be charged $10. This fee must be paid prior to collection. This fee is based on the landfill’s fee schedule and is subject to change.
- Yard waste collection will continue to be provided weekly by request only.
- Grass clippings, small shrubbery clippings, leaves and other small lawn debris should be placed in bags or cans for collection. Brush piles containing small debris will not be collected and the homeowner will be responsible for properly sorting the debris.
- Limbs and large shrubbery should be stacked in an orderly manner at the curb. Failure to place items at the curb in an orderly manner may result in a delay in service.
- All limbs should be no larger than 6 feet in length and 3 inches in diameter.
- Each week a maximum of 4 cubic yards (approximately 6ft long by 4ft high by 4ft wide) will be collected. To prevent unsightly brush piles residents should not place more than the weekly maximum of 4 cubic yards at the curb each week for pick up.
- The town will not collect yard waste and yard debris from landscape and maintenance projects performed by landscaping companies, scrap lumber, debris resulting from whole tree removal or lot clearing. No stumps, roots or dirt.
- It will be the responsibility of the homeowner to dispose of any brush piles and debris not meeting the requirements of the town.
We would like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding during this time of change. We will work diligently to make the transition as smooth as possible. If you have questions after reviewing these guidelines, please feel free to reach out to our Sanitation Department at 828-419-9300 option 2.
You may schedule a pick-up of bulky items, white goods and yard waste on our website at www.townofblackmountain.org or by calling our office.