Can I add another residence to my property?

Yes. A secondary dwelling can be added to a lot that has a single-family dwelling (not a two-family dwelling, also known as a duplex) in UR-8, NMU-8, TR-4, and SR-2 zoning districts. 

Among other requirements, it can be up to 50% of the square footage of the primary dwelling (but no larger than 1,100 square feet), and it cannot be sited between the primary structure and an adjacent public roadway. 

For more information, contact or contact the Zoning Administrator at 828-419-9300, ext. 373.

Show All Answers

1. What zoning district am I in?
2. What uses are allowed in my zoning district?
3. Why are nonconforming businesses and signs allowed to exist?
4. What are the setbacks for my property?
5. What is the height limited if I put an addition on my home or build a new residence?
6. Are there setback requirements for things like decks and porches?
7. Can I add another residence to my property?
8. I want to encroach on a setback - can I apply for a variance?
9. I want to use my property for something not listed on the use table - can I apply for a use variance?
10. What are the Town's fence requirements?
11. Does the Town regulate signs?
12. Can a lot be subdivided?
13. I own adjacent lots. Can I adjust the property line between them?